Friday 16 March 2012

Facebook birthday wishes



I’m in two minds about this.  Facebook reminds me about friends’ birthdays way more effectively than anything else in my life, giving me the opportunity to wish a happy birthday to people whose birthdays I would normally miss.  On the other hand, the ease with which one can wish a friend happy birthday by leaving message on their Facebook wall renders the wish comparatively meaningless.  I mean, you don’t have to go to a lot of effort, and in the end it’s just characters on a display, rather than a voice on the phone or a handwritten wish in a card sent through the mail.

I know that, on my own birthday, I quite enjoy looking through all the messages on my wall, and it does give a little boost to one’s self-worth.  But it just seems too easy to punch a few keys and think “there, I’ve done something nice today”.

Whatever, it won’t stop me trying to think up something appropriate or witty to write on peoples’ walls, but I’ll still feel guilty about not being able to get better organised all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.