Saturday 17 March 2012

Time flying



Well, the weekend is almost half over, and I'm just getting around to reflecting on the fact that it is, indeed, the weekend.


There seems to be a bit of a time-concertina effect going on here - I've just worked out that there are only a couple of weekends to go until Easter, which means there are also only a couple of weeks till the end of term 1 for the kids.  This also happens to coincide with a bunch of people coming to visit at Easter and also my eldest minion's birthday (she turns *gasp* 13!).  So, having done a bunch of chores, including going to Bunnings hardware store to browse important hardware items, I realised it was time to go and purchase that sofa bed that we're gonna need if we insist on inviting interstate friends to stay.



At the shop where said sofa bed is for sale (scouted out with Mrs G several weeks ago) I remembered to phone the bank to ensure I wasn't about to get an electronic transaction rejected.  Hmmm ... not enough there, what about the other account?  Nope, not there either.  Now, I'm hopeless at remembering more than about 7 or 8 passwords, so the ones for the seldom used (but probably maxed out) credit cards are nowhere near my living memory.  So I had to phone the banks (two cards from two separate banks to check) and wait on a Saturday afternoon for the poor bastards staffing their call centres to get around to taking my call, so I could validate my identity in person and have them tell me how little credit I have left.


In both cases, not good news - well, not enough to be able to leave the shop with the goods.


As I walked back to the car I got to thinking how this was possible.  Why, it seemed like only yesterday I was paid and the accounts were brimful of ready cash.  An instant later I realised that was over a week ago and, in the meantime, I'd recklessly said "why not" at least four times when Mrs G had called me at work to ask whether it was okay to buy this or that.


Time flies when someone else is spending your money, it seems.  I'll be back next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.